Skip to content

Construction Accidents

Frequently asked questions about the types of cases handled :

Q: If I get hurt on a construction site, can I sue my employer?

A: Generally speaking, whether you are working at a construction site or anywhere else, you can not sue an employer for an on-the-job injury. You would file a WORKERS’ COMPENSATION CLAIM with your employer and can then receive benefits including payment of medical bills and lost wages . There are certain limited exceptions to this general rule, about which you should consult an attorney, like Christopher Patsos.

Q: If I can’t sue my employer for a construction accident, who CAN I sue?

A: Depending on how the accident happened, you may be able to sue the owner of the building or property (under New York’s “Labor Law”), the general contractor or subcontractors involved, or, if the accident was caused by some product or device, you may be able to sue the manufacturer of that product or device (see Product Liability FAQS).

Q: What is the “Labor Law”?

A: Many years ago, New York State passed a law for the protection of workers who are employed in the construction industry in dangerous jobs. Generally speaking, it provides that the owner of a building or other structure – for example, a bridge, water tower, etc. – is liable to a worker who is injured on or in that structure while performing one of the jobs listed in the statute. Someone may bring a lawsuit even if they might have been partly at fault for the accident.